Monday, September 3, 2018

Student Spotlight: Earl Holloway

Having taught at SVA for over a decade, I've had the joy of watching many of my former students achieve amazing successes-- talents as varied as (off the top of my head) Matt Lubchansky, Andrea Tsurumi, Alex Rothman, & Van Hong, begin a long list. Though I can't claim credit for anyone's awesomeness, I get to pat myself on the back for having been there to nudge them forward early in their careers.

Today, I want to catch you up on the recent work of Earl Holloway, about whom I've written many times already.  Since self publishing The Squid, Earl has become the exclusive label illustrator for Kings County Brewers Collective in Bushwick.

Here are some of my favorite examples:





 










 


Crazy, eh? So here's an idea: why don't you come out this Thursday, Sept 6th, to the SVA Illustration and Cartooning Information Session from 6:30-8:30pm, 209 E 23d St Room 311, learn about our fall classes, and then follow me to the KCBC anniversary party, 381 Troutman Street in Brooklyn, to collect some beer cans and see the debut of Ninja Kitties? Should be a good time.



As you may infer, part of the fun of these classes is in the fellow students you're liable to meet. 

Fall courses are enrolling now and start soon: Cartooning Basics Thursdays beginning Sept. 20, Inking Comics Fridays beginning Sept. 21, and Figure Drawing for Cartoonists, Wednesdays beginning Sept. 26.

Says Earl, "Insightful feedback and criticism on your own work is invaluable. Tom's critiques and evaluation both in and outside of the classroom have pushed me to do better work and think about my process in different ways. Having a wide range of knowledge and experience in the industry makes Tom a great teacher and I wouldn't be the artist I am today without his help."

No comments: